A sweet smile, a warm hug, and the gift of a homemade melt in your mouth chocolate masterpiece is the perfect gift for your valentine. Gayle Norton shares her recipe for magic cookie bars; a treat that will help you spread the love this Valentine’s day.
“Magic cookie bars are quick, easy, and always loved when I make them,” Norton said.
You can use the base recipe to create an individualized treat for your loved one based on their favorite ingredients.
“It is versatile, I use whatever I have on hand,” Norton said. “Use your imagination to combine different ingredients.”
Norton’s recipe gives you several ideas for ingredients. You can make it over and over, and have a different flavor each time. It is like a “choose your own adventure” treat!
Magic Cookie Bars
¾ cup butter or margarine, melted (for the crust)
1 can regular or low fat sweetened condensed milk
One ingredient from each “group” in the quantity shown:
Group A - 1 1/3 cup
Graham cracker crumbs; chocolate wafer crumbs; vanilla wafer crumbs; animal cracker crumbs; sugar cookie crumbs
Group B – 1 1/3 cup
Chocolate chips; butterscotch chips; peanut butter chips, dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc); candy-coated chocolate candies; toffee bits
Group C – 1 1/3 cup
Flaked coconut; crisped rice cereal, frosted flake cereal (crumbled), miniature marshmallows
Group D – 1 1/3 cup
Chopped walnuts; chopped pecans; chopped peanuts; chopped cashews
- Combine crumbs of choice from Group A with melted butter; press evenly onto parchment-lined 13x9” baking pan.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with your choice of toppings from Groups B, C and D. Press down firmly.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool thoroughly and cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
This article originally appeared on Dacula Patch in February 2012.