Around the Region: Elderly Woman Struck, Serial Burglar Nabbed and Accused Furniture Thief Arrested
A look at top Patch stories from around Georgia.
Elderly Woman Struck by SUV – Canton–Sixes Patch
A woman who appeared to be in her late 60s was flown to Grady Hospital in Atlanta after an SUV struck her in Canton's Great Sky subdivision on Aug. 29.
The woman, who has severe head trauma, is listed in critical condition, Cavender said.
Residents Help Police Nab Burglar – Midtown Patch
Thanks to the vigilance of Virginia Highland residents, an accused burglar is now behind bars.
Charles Echols, 54, is in the Fulton County Jail on 14 charges related to burglary, according to the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office website.
“We believe he is responsible for 13 burglaries in Morningside, Midtown, Virginia Highland, North Highland, Amsterdam and Monroe,” said Atlanta Police Department spokesman Carlos Campos.
Last week, police asked residents to be on the lookout for Echols. He was wanted for suspected parole violation in connection with burglary. As the word spread on a Yahoo Group message board, VHlist, neighbors started reporting sightings of Echols.
Man Accused of $12K Furniture Theft – Cartersville Patch
A man who shopped for furniture and electronics -- but later called the store to make the $12,000 purchase -- used a stolen credit card to do so, Cartersville Police Department Chief Tommy Culpepper said in a news release.
Authorities have arrested Tony Lamar Sweat, 50, of Mountain Chase Drive in Cartersville, in connection with the alleged theft from Nelson's in May.
You might also be interested in reading:
- Woman Strips in ER, Indecent Exposure in Lawrenceville and Sentencing in Traveler Sex Case
- Man Rides Kick Scooter on I-75, Simon Property Gives Up on Gwinnett Mall and Work Begins on GA 400/I-85 Interchange
- Son Shoots Father, Doctor Sentenced for Child Porn and Study Shows ‘Me’ Generation Less Engaged
- Burglar Targets Foes of Anti-Abortion Bill, Motorcyclist Killed in GA 400 Crash and Senior Prank Costs $7,500
- AK-47 Used in Robbery, Switchblade-Wielding Man Attempts Robbery and Anti-Abortion Bill Advances in Georgia Senate
- Police Release Chase Footage, Student Arrested for Threats and Cop Shot in Little Five Points